Subject: Re: hard drive upgrade probs (VERY long)
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@servtech.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/12/1999 08:23:31
As Michael G. Schabert wrote ...
> Hi all...
> In my haste to add another hard drive to my system, I seem to have hit a
> wall full-speed ahead. I know that I hosed the info, but I'm curious if the

> sd1(ncr0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08 0a 22 20 10 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Media Error
>    INFO FIELD:  664096
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Unrecovered Read Error
>
> mv: /newdrive//include/miscfs/genfs: Input/output error
> mv: /bin/cp: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status: No such file or directory
> Apr 11 21:06:45 prez /netbsd: sd1(ncr0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08
> 0a 22 20 10 00
> Apr 11 21:06:45 prez /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Media Error
> Apr 11 21:06:45 prez /netbsd:    INFO FIELD:  664096
> Apr 11 21:06:45 prez /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Unrecovered Read Error
> Apr 11 21:06:45 prez /netbsd:
> sd1(ncr0:4:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08 0e 66 20 10 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Media Error
>    INFO FIELD:  943648
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Unrecovered Read Error

> that's the drive's fault or a problem with the driver, or something
> _really_ boneheadded that I did? Can I not use that drive with the NetBSD

Assuming the driver does not invent the error itself which I think is
unlikely this is the drive telling you it has big problems. Media
errors can sometimes be cured by sending the drive a SCSI FORMAT UNIT cmd
and waiting for it to reassign the bad blocks. Note that it has a finite
number of spare blocks.

If you have loads of errors reported it could also have developed a bad
head or a bad head amplifier chip or something nasty like that.

If this is the case it is either in for a warranty claim
(if it is not too old) or a trip to the dumpster.

Hope this helps,

Wilko