Subject: Re: de0 on 164LX gives poor throughput
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/09/1999 14:02:33
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:

> DO NOT DO THIS!  Hardwire the _switch_ end of the link to full-duplex, and
> let the card autoselect.  I've been testing for about a week now with several
> "de" cards and switches and if the card is set to full-duplex, our driver
> seems to completely screw up the negotiation with the switch somehow leading
> to awful performance.  Leaving both ends on "auto" of course doesn't always
> work well, either -- Cisco switches are notorious for screwing this up --
> and all that I've found that *does* work reliably in every case is switch
> hardwired to "full", card on "auto".

> Our "de" driver should be defenstrated.

Yes.  I hear Jason was working on a replacement.  It's a hard one,
there are a lot of strange cards that use the tulip.

BTW, one tulip-based card I have at home works perfectly under windows
in that full duplex 100 mbps connections are reliably negoitated, but
under NetBSD it does not.

Replacing the card with an fxp made it automatically detect again.  Is
there a problem with the nway detection in the de driver that fails to
do the right thing with full duplex?

--Michael