Subject: Re: de0 on 164LX gives poor throughput
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/09/1999 18:40:39
On Fri Apr  9 18:05:00 1999, Paul H. Anderson wrote:

> Today is yet another day in alpha land when 1+1 doesn't equal 2.
>
> I've got several racks full of 164LX machines running netbsd 1.3I from
> 19990122 snapshot.
>
> Each machine HW is: alpha 164LX Dec motherboard, 533MHz 21164, de500
> 10/100, ide boot disk, adaptec 2940UW, 1GB RAM, two 10K rpm drives, serial
> console.
>
> UDP from an alpha to other alphas seems ok (NFS to a server gives about
> 3-4 MB/sec for reading files).
>
> TCP streams via FTP seem FUBAR.  In pretty much any combination that we've
> tried, an alpha talking to an alpha gives about 50-100KBytes/second
> throughput - about 1/100 of what it should.  Same HW ifconfig'd to 10baseT
> gives 1MB/sec, i.e. full 10baseT throughput.

Please show us the ifconfig de0 output.

Do you have an switch which supports full-duplex, if yes then and try to use
'media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex' and not autoselect.

I have problems with the autoselect mode on my 164LX, see port-alpha/6807:
http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6807

Bernd