Subject: Re: 'hanging' mount problem 'fixed'? Forklift Upgrade....
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/1999 20:32:32
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:35:30 -0700 (PWT)
>  Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
>  > After updating an alphastation 600 system with 19990325 Alpha snapshot,
>  > the hang no longer occurs. This may explain why some people were not able
>  > to reproduce the problem. The previous contents of the system had been a
>  > working build of February 25 or thereabouts.
>
> My kernels are Really Current (today's sources) and March 15 binaries.  I
> have never been able to reproduce the "hang".

My kernels were always really current too. It's the user space bits that
have hit the problem.

(you done with brunner then?)

>  > This does have some implications for COMPAT_13. I'd be curious to hear
>  > other experiences with this.
>
> ...well, that's ... unclear, considering that you never pinpointed exactly
> what the problem was.

True- I *did* pinpoint the source changes that caused it- and I *did*
narrow it down to subshells within /etc/rc. If it had been *just* me, I
would just write it off with an apology, but because at least one other
person had the issue, I'd just be a bit uneasy about COMPAT_13.