Subject: Re: urgent repost: serial port problem
To: jamie <>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/01/1999 10:54:37
>> Everything works fine, until I hooked a modem up to the serial port.
>> Not long after netbsd boots the DTR light comes on on the modem &
>> also the RD & TD lights stay on.

This sounds to me like the infinite-echo problem: both the modem and
the host are echoing characters, so as soon either of them sends
anything they start jabbering at one another.  If either end produces
an error (eg, a modem command error) this only fuels the fire.

>> Once netbsd has finished booting I can <sometimes> connect to a
>> remote modem, but when the connection is established this modem just
>> pumps garbage to the remote one.

Connect how?  And what sort of garbage?

					der Mouse