Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/30/1999 03:16:31
[ On Monday, March 29, 1999 at 22:10:38 (-0500), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?
>
> >> As Wilko says, there are a multitude of factors that may prevent
> >> these things from working.
> > Right.  And as he also said, he has arrangements like this that do
> > work that he uses himself.
>
> This is not directly relevant to NetBSD/alpha, but I do have a couple
> of contrasting SCSI war stories.

NONE of this stuff is even remotely surprising to me.

If you understand even a tiny bit about digital signalling (which is all
I really understand), or if you read and understand even 10% of the
William Ham artical that was referenced in this thread, then you'll
realize that SCSI is a very very very marginal specification and unless
you play very close to the book anything is possible.

> It can go either way.  Some things are touchy, some are tolerant, and
> there even seem to be a few that are just randomly cantankerous.

exactly.

--
							Greg A. Woods