Subject: Re: linux binaries
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/27/1999 09:54:55
Wim Vandeputte writes:

> > library, or seg fault, or what have you.) There is no way
> > that I have found to identify that a binary belongs to a
> > particular os. Is there actually some magic that isn't in
>
> What about 'file' ?

file command output running under linux:

netbsd binary
/net/js8/bin/ed: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha, version 1, stripped
/net/js8/usr/bin/vi: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha, version 1, stripped

linux binary
/bin/ed: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha, version 1, stripped
/usr/bin/vi: symbolic link to ../../bin/vim
/bin/vim: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha, version 1, stripped

file command output running under NetBSD

netbsd binary
/bin/ed: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1, statically linked, stripped
/usr/bin/vi: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

linux binary
/home/root/ed: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
/home/root/vim: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net