Subject: ncr hangs system
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/18/1999 11:24:11
I am having a set of 4 ncr timeouts occur and then the system
hangs. The system is still responsive to keyboard input, but
obviously is blocked in the scsi system waiting for accesses.

The system is a multia 233MHz/64Mb running -current of a couple
days ago. The problem occurs while using the internal ncr810
scsi controller, the internal 530Mb scsi drive that came with
the system, and an external syjet 1.5G drive and ricoh cr-rw
drive. The system seems to work ok as long as i don't access
the 2.5" scsi internal drive. If I use that drive however, in
some variable length of time the system will wedge.

I can build new kernels, -current, etc. as long as I stay with
just the syjet. While moving data to the internal drive it runs
until the hang, from 50 to 250 Meg of data transfer prior to the
death. I've tried options FAILSAFE in the config file to no
result. Any approach to debugging this would be helpful. The
failure is repeatable, and not dependent on the type of filesystem
on the 2.5" drive. (I tried lfs also).

If the debugger is in the kernel, how do I get it to start via
the keyboard? Perhaps some stack trace would be available. Also
I would like to use a serial console vice the tga to allow logging
of the results. How do I do this?

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net