Subject: Re: Please Help with IPNAT and NetBSD/Alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin <kev@drule.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/16/1999 00:34:29
At 06:11 PM 3/9/99 , you wrote:
>>At 01:09 AM 3/9/99 , Tom Harvey wrote:
>>
>>>good luck. NetBSD/alpha 1.3H should make a fine cable modem NAT'ing router.
>>
>>I'm glad to hear this, because I have a DEC 3000 I plan on doing this
>>with.  Question:  Can I do this with just 1 ethernet card in the alpha?  I
>>would like to assign 2 IP's to the same ethernet interface (le0), one from
>>my non-routable ip block the other from the cable connection.  Then, run
>>ipnat between the 2 subnets on the same ethernet segment.  I know
>>performance will be degraded, but i would just like to know if it's
>>technically possible.  My other option would be to hunt down a turbochannel
>>NIC which I don't want to do if i don't have to.
>

>Yes, you can do NAT with just 1 NIC. You'd use ifaliases to set the
>secondary IP addie.

Thanks for the help.  It works pretty quite well, even on the old server I
am using.  TCP and UDP traffic gets through okay, but pings and traceroutes
don't work.  I guess that is an extra field I have to add to
/etc/ipnat.conf, or is it even supported by ipnat.  Oh well, Its not that
important.  I'll re-read the man pages later.

---
Kevin                      DOTFP

Trust the computer industry to shorten "Year 2000" to Y2K.
It was this kind of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.