Subject: Re: PC164LX boot problems
To: Paul H. Anderson <pha@pdq.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/1999 16:59:40
On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 02:47:13PM -0500, Paul H. Anderson wrote:
> One more question about IDE... on second bootup of my IDE disk on the
> 164LX, I notice one missed IDE DMA interrupt (soft error).  How normal is
> that, and should I be worried (i.e. not use that type drive, or try a
> different disk before drawing any conclusions about IDE stability)?

It's not "normal" but not uncommon. This can be due to some electrical
imcompatibilities between the controller, motherboard, cable and disk.
You can try to change the cable, or the disk (or to put the disk on a
different connector on your cable, if it's a 3 connectors cable).
You MUST have on end of the cable on the motherboard if it's a 3 connectors
cable.
If you get only a missed interrupt once a while, this is not really a problem.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>