Subject: Re: NetBSD supports this ....?
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/13/1999 00:17:50
As Matthew Jacob wrote...
> > As Ross Harvey wrote...

> > FYI: your run-of-the-mill Taiwanese NCR810 board will also work. I've had
> > both 'genuine' KZPAA and NCR810s in my Alpha and both worked just fine.
>
> Not always. The ncr810 boardlet that came with the Multias does *not* work
> in the AlphaPC164 I had.

The Multia thingy was not a runofthemill NCR810 if I remember well. I gave
back my borrowed Multia months ago. The KZPAA-AA I've seen are all
silkscreened with NCR production labels etc.

> > > Besides NetBSD support, it has the advantage of being one of the few
> > > SCSI cards that will be recognized by your SRM firmware.
> >
> > Very true. The alternative would be to get some Qlogic board. Most
> > SRMs understand them too.
>
> Not all Qlogic boards, though. The PTI board with OBP f/w don't get seen-
> nobody really knows why. The Qlogic 2100 and Qlogic 1080 and Qlogic 1240
> won't be seen. Also- some really early 1040 PCI cards (the 1040a) have
> problems with some SRMs- they basically put it into Ultra mode and it's
> really not capable of it.

The nasty thing is the SRM has the f/w for the Qlogics sort of
'built-in'. In my case I have an Aspen Alpine, which runs EB64+ SRM
(I could not get the Aspen SRM code). The latest EB64+ SRM contains
Qlogic (aka KZPBA-CA in DECspeak for my card) rev 2.10 IRRC. The current
Compaq/DEC blessed version is 5.57 IRRC.

Anybody know of a way to 'insert' new Qlogic f/w into an existing SRM
image?

Wilko