Subject: Re: PC164LX boot problems
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Paul H. Anderson <pha@pdq.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/12/1999 14:47:13
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:18:22 -0500 (EST)
>  "Paul H. Anderson" <pha@pdq.com> wrote:
>
>  > And... I've answered my last question.  The IDE disk on the PC164 doesn't
>
> Aha, I guess I was mistaken about the SRM and IDE support in the various
>
> As to why NetBSD called it "wd0a" .. NetBSD, by default, assigns unit numbers
> as it finds devices, and doens't have any default mapping from unit number
> to physical location of the device.

The last thing makes perfect sense, except I'm used to FreeBSD, which
assigns wd?? according to the controller it found it on, I think (fuzzy
memory).

Anyhow, I'm in a much happier place, and I tossed the PC164 off the top of
the stack of alphas, and now I'm just dealing with 164LX alphas, which
seem happier.

One more question about IDE... on second bootup of my IDE disk on the
164LX, I notice one missed IDE DMA interrupt (soft error).  How normal is
that, and should I be worried (i.e. not use that type drive, or try a
different disk before drawing any conclusions about IDE stability)?

Paul

| Paul Anderson           Public Data Queries, Inc.    |
| pha@pdq.com             734-213-4964(W) 994-3734(H)  |