Subject: Re: Please Help with IPNAT and NetBSD/Alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/10/1999 20:45:12
: From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>

> > Now a question about system versions.  I see the mention of 1.3I and
> > 1.3H.  I just downloaded and installed 1.3.3-stable.  Is this newer then
> > the others listed?
>
> The way it's been described to me, 1.3.3-stable is older than *1.3E*!!I found
> out when I asked about difficulties I had upgrading from 1.3E to 1.3.3,
> and was promptly corrected about the *downgrade*....
> My NoName is now happily running 1.3E....

On the NetBSD Alpha platform, the development branch, aka NetBSD-current
has more relative importance than on older ports that have been around for
longer and for which the software has more history and the platform hardware
is more standardized.

1.3 and NetBSD-current diverged in late 1997. Although point releases
like 1.3.3 came out regularly, as time goes on it gets older and older.
1.3A, 1.3B, 1.3C ... these are kernel versions on the development branch.

Someone thoughtfully put this on our web page, see:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html