Subject: Re: UDB - Install disk hangs ...
To: Frank Louwers <frank@zeuswpi.org>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/03/1999 09:05:18
>>>>> "Frank" == Frank Louwers <frank@zeuswpi.org> writes:

Frank> However, the install disk (floppy-144) hangs after about 10
Frank> lines of text. It boots OK at first, displays about 10 lines of
Frank> output, then says "Loading netbsd.gz", a number (filesize?) on
Frank> the next line, and then hangs. The light from the floppy is
Frank> still on, but the floppy doesn't make any noises, and the unit
Frank> just hangs.

I believe this is a floppy bug due to old firmware; I had the same
problem.  I ended up netbooting in order to install on my Multia.

Frank> Another problem is occuring when I try to netboot the thing. He
Frank> gets it's IP, downloads the kernel (i think), and then gives me
Frank> 3 lines of code, starting with: "Your firmware is to old to
Frank> netboot NetBSD/alpha, or ..." and then something about the
Frank> Hardware address of the networkcard not being speciefied?  It
Frank> happens very quickly, and the unit then reboots.

Yep, I had the same problem on my Multia.  :)

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html#netboot

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu