Subject: Re: PALcode documentation (was: NetBSD/alpha on AlphaPC 164LX?)
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/1999 14:42:44
Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org> writes:

> > Where are they documented?  The architecture handbook only lists the
> > reserved opcodes, not their meaning.  (It also lists the PAL entry points.)
> > I haven't yet stumbled over the documentation for the PALcode ops of
> > the various DECchips.
>
> The green architecture reference manual has all the information,
> AFAIK.   You can also read the MILO source.   I can't claim to have
> gone over this in depth, but this is my recollection from over a year
> ago.

The architecture reference manual lists the PALcode operations, and
their meanings.  those are basically kernel traps to PALcode.

It does _not_ describe the reserved opcodes, i.e. the hardware
dependent instructions which are used (in addition to the normal
instruction set) to actually _implement_ PALcode.

I think those might be in the actual chip reference manuals, but i'm
not sure.  i don't think i've ever looked carefully below the
PALcode.  8-)

cgd