Subject: Re: NetBSD/alpha on AlphaPC 164LX?
To: Andrew Reilly <andrew@lake.com.au>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/1999 07:54:48
> Is PALcode _significantly_ different from ordinary Alpha ASM?
> Presumably there are extra instructions to muck about with the
> memory management and interrupt hardware, but these must be
> documented in the Alpha processor doco.

Yes, they're all documented.   PALcode hacking is not impossible, but
it's definitely deep hardware wizardry - don't expect it to be easy.
Also, the assembler isn't well-tested WRT PALcode ops, so if you tweak
things, you could run into bugs.

I think it would be swell if somebody did this, and I think it's
definitely doable, but if you don't have a lot of free time, it's
going to take you a while, so don't put it on your critical path.

			       _MelloN_