Subject: Re: NetBSD/alpha on AlphaPC 164LX?
To: Ted Lemon , Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
From: Andrew Reilly <andrew@lake.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/24/1999 23:20:03
On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 05:28:21PM -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > MILO comes with source. So it should only be a matter of adapting NetBSD to
> > it....
>
> Best of luck.   I tried that last year, with a lot of help from Chris
> Demetriou, and found that there were a _lot_ of problems.   I'm not
> convinced that it's impossible, but I think it may require some
> PALcode hacking.

Is PALcode _significantly_ different from ordinary Alpha ASM?
Presumably there are extra instructions to muck about with the
memory management and interrupt hardware, but these must be
documented in the Alpha processor doco.

(He asks, as someone who's thinking about an Alpha system, and
wants to run NetBSD, but sees more Samsung motherboards
available than Compaq, and they all come with AlphaBIOS.  Not
that I'm averse to the notion of PALcode hacking, but I don't
have much extra-curricular time...)

--
Andrew