Subject: Adventures in upgrading to NetBSD 1.3.3
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/21/1999 20:08:32
I thought that now that my NoName is running NetBSD 1.3.3, I'd share
some of my adventures. I took this machine from NetBSD 1.3E (April 20,
1998 snapshot) to 1.3.3 with some confusion.

1) MAKE SURE ALL DATA ON THE MACHINE IS BACKED UP!!!!!!

2) Since I had a spare SCSI disk handy, I partitioned the spare disk for
1.3.3. This way, If I had any problems (and there were difficulties), I
could easily revert back to 1.3E.  Untar the distribution, run
installboot to write the boot blocks to the 1.3.3 disk, and gracefully
shutdown.  Swap the disks, reboot, and try to figure out why the kernel
finds multiple VGA cards (incorrectly),  thinks there are multiple
consoles.

3) Shutdown, swap the disks, and reboot 1.3E.  Edit the kernel
configuration file to only look for vga0 on the isa bus, remove several
extra machine configurations (including the 8400 series), and rebuild
the kernel. I found that with the 8400 disabled, the make file was
including tlsb.c, and the linker was complaining about unresolved
externals:  tlsb_ca and tlsb_cd. BTW, I couldn't find these defined in
the tlsb.h include files......

4) Successfully rebuild the kernel, and try again.... Reboot, login, and
try some basic network tests....so far so good... try a man <anything>,
and enjoy the "man: <anything> not found in the manual" message....

I guess it's back to problem solving.......

Stan