Subject: Re: 1.3.3 panic: multiple consoles?
To: None <kpneal@pobox.com, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/11/1999 00:03:15
> From: "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
>
> That reminds me: What's a decent ISA VGA card to throw in an AXPpci33
> machine that is supported by NetBSD and the SRM?

Other than the usual TGA stuff, I have no idea what SRM can deal with. As
a wild guess, I would imagine that it can deal with VGA-compatible cards
that have a functioning VGA mode on reset, and some versions of SRM have
an i386 emulator in them (so, you wondered what was taking up your first
2 MB :-) and these can probably handle VGA cards that require ROM code to
execute before their compatible VGA mode starts to work.

The cannonical alpha video cards are the DEC PCI cards based on the 21030
(TGA) chip: the ZLXp-E1, -E2, and -E3. NetBSD 1.3.x supports the -E1 card
and the built-in video on the Multia. Constant change in the new machine-
independent console driver has kept an X server from working in NetBSD-
current, but that should change soon. (Uh oh, have I said that before? :-)

Why in the world would you want ISA video?

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org