Subject: Re: Alpha 1.3I snapshot
To: None <cpg@aladdin.de, mito@st.rim.or.jp, root@garbled.net>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/29/1999 11:50:01
Hmm, the last few snapshots have run OK on my AlphaStation 200 4/233.

Mine uses a serial console; that may be the difference.

Regarding the system type determination: that's a good guess but in fact
all that changed there was the way the message is printed. In 1.3.x we
used our own strings, later on we used strings provided by the firmware.

Tim: you should have a version of your snapshot GENERIC kernel with -g
symbols, if not, go ahead and make one. Put .gz versions of both the
stripped and the .gdb kernels on ftp.netbsd.org in the alpha/misc directory.

Those with the crash should try [1] serial console (just plug in a serial
line and unplug the keyboard) and [2] the debug kernel. Tell me what the
pc is in the crash printout.  (You don't actually have to boot the .gdb
one, just the one corresponding to it.)

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org