Subject: 1.3.3 or -current
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/26/1999 18:58:32
Hi all,
I was just curious... which is more "current"...1.3.3 or -current BINARIES?
I know that of course -current supped & compiled would be much newer than a
1.3.3 release, but the binaries for 1.3.3 Alpha are 2 months newer than the
binaries from the latest snapshot. I'm currently running 1.3F (June 30th),
so would it be advised for me to go to the release version? I'm using an
AlphaStation 4/200 so my machine was already fully supported. In order to
upgrade, should I bother with the floppy/sysinst upgrade, or is it OK to
just tar --unlink the binary sets from /? I did check out the install docs,
& that mentions some more migrations from sbin, so I'd know to look for
those.

Will a newer snapshot be uploaded soon? I got used to port-mac68k doing
snapshots once every week or two...perhaps that's because they are in
younger stages of development...It just seems odd to me that the Mac port
compiles so often when the compiler was using a 16 bit, 16Mhz MC68020
machine & Alphas START at 64-bit 166 Mhz risc chips & go into the 500+
range. (hmm, I'm curious...how long's it take to do a make world on one of
those 500+ Mhz screamers?)

Thanks for any advice,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.