Subject: Re: -mieee option
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Wada Tatsuaki <wada@faraday.ee.ibaraki.ac.jp>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/18/1999 18:04:16
>  Now, alpha traps,
>whereas the others just get the wrong answer. That's because NetBSD/alpha
>starts out with all the IEEE exceptions enabled, even the ones you don't
>want like underflow. That's easy to fix: I'll do that now.
>
>Since real numeric programs don't try to output (and rarely even _use_)
>DBL_MIN, the best advice for now is: don't do that in toy programs, either.

I have made this toy program (min.cc) to point out what makes the FP error when using a matrix library. The matrix library, which is newmat09, uses some constant like DBL_MIN, .. etc., that are defined in float.h.

BTW, the same code (min.cc) do run under a Linux Alpha on the same PC164 alpha box.

	Linux version 2.1.108 (root@alpha) (gcc version 2.8.1) #1 Mon Aug 3
	16:56:08 JST 1998

	>g++ -v
	Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu/
	egcs-2.91.57/specs gcc version egcs-2.91.57 19980901 (egcs-1.1 release)

	>g++ -o min min.cc
	> min
	2.22507e-308

>I'll post another note when I check in some updates for this. (And I promise
>it won't be this long. :-)

I really appreciate it! Thank you, Ross.