Subject: Re: Running DU apps on NetBSD...
To: Alpha BSD <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/1999 09:53:47
Peter Petrakis writes:
 > Was NetBSD's kernel desgined to be like the DU kernel? I ask that
 > because the later programs I tried were looking for a function from the
 > kernel before it would even start. This is with DU JDK and acroreader.
 > So if the kernel had thoses attributes it could run them. The apps die
 > with this error upon execution (below). Thanks for your help.
 >
 > Peter P.
 >
 > get_reply_port: failed allocating new reply port. (os/kern) unknown
 > error code (4e)

This error is indicative of a failed Mach system call.  There's little
hope of emulating these properly (or at least somebody a lot smarter &
more motivated than I would need to do it..)  Both the DU jdk and the
acroreader are linked to libmach, so there's little hope that they
will ever work.  Read sys/compat/osf1/README.mach-traps.

Cheers,

Drew