Subject: Netbooting.
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Miller <matt@brain.mics.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/30/1998 11:35:44
I'm sorry if this question is too simplistic for this list, but I am not
sure where to turn.

I lost the powersupply in my external SCSI drive enclosure connected my my
Multia.  I am now trying to netboot it.

I get the message from if_prom.c concerning my firmware being too old or
needing to use setnetbootinfo.  [The complaint previous to that is "Boot
device does not contain Ethernet address.]  I don't have access to another
Alpha machine running NetBSD to use setnetbootinfo.

Here's the particulars I think you may need to help me track down my
trouble.  Please let me know if I have left something out.

SRM Firmware:
BL5 V3.8-3 built AUg 10, 1995 03:22:55
As far as I can tell this is the latest available.

Running stock BSD/OS 3.1 BOOTP server and TFTP server.

Message in boot sequence says the boot command (?) was:

BOOTP 0 8 0 0 0 3 0

MAC address of Multia:  08 00 2B E2 CC D7
MAC address of BSD/OS server:  00 00 C0 CE BE D6

I assume it's clear that it successfully loads the netboot from the TFTP
server.  (IP is getting assigned, etc.)

BOOTP server logs an error that ARP failed.  (I think this happens AFTER
the Multia has reset itself.)

DO I need a firmware upgrade?   Do I need setnetbootinfo run?

If the later, is there someone who could create a usable netboot for me?

Thanks in advance for your time.

--
Matt Miller                Midwest Internet Connections & Services
Operations Director                            Voice: 937-297-6212