Subject: Re: hardware help w/DEC 3000/300x
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.perspex.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/1998 15:33:51
On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 03:13:31PM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> > I know this is how the PCI-based systems work, but you may also find
> > you have to physically remove the graphics card from the turbochannel
> > slot to get the console to use the serial port.
>
> The 3000/300 also has an integrated video, I believe (the same as in the
> 3000/500).  I have a 3000/400 and it's got a little switch next to the
> DECconnect serial console plug that sets it to use the serial console
> (note that the serial console is only attached to that serial port).  I
> am pretty sure that I didn't have to remove the keyboard/mouse "assembly",
> and I'm positive that I didn't have to remove the TC video in order to get
> the serial console to work on my 3000/400.

The manual for the 3000/300LX that I have suggests that the 300LX and 300X
differ mostly in the clock speed of the chip.  Assuming that the LX and
the X use the same motherboard and different daughter cards for the uP,
then there should be two ways to using the "alternate console" (as the
manual calls it.)  The first is to disconnect the Keyboard/Mouse cable
from the back of the machine.

The second is to move a jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 on the
motherboard.  This jumper is near the front of the motherboard,
right behind where the hard drive sits in the case.  (There's a drawing
in the manual.)  This is the jumper on the left behind the motherboard's
SCSI connector.  It should have four pins (3&4 are reserved) numbered
1 2 3 4 from left to right, and should be labeled W2.

jf
--
John Franklin
jfrankli@bev.net