Subject: Re: hardware help w/DEC 3000/300x
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, zaft@azstarnet.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/28/1998 20:12:46
> From port-alpha-owner-ross=teraflop.com@netbsd.org Mon Dec 28 20:09:17 1998
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:07:37 +0000
> To: port-alpha@netbsd.org
> From: "Gordon C. Zaft" <zaft@azstarnet.com>
> Subject: hardware help w/DEC 3000/300x
>

> 	Can anyone point me to hardware FAQs etc for this machine?  It's headless.
>  I tried plugging a VT220 into the serial port to see if it would come up
> and talk but I don't get anything.  Ideas?
>
> 	Thanks in advance.
>
> GZ
>
> Gordon Zaft
> zaft@azstarnet.com

You need to unplug the keyboard. If you do that, the firmware will communicate
via the serial port.

NetBSD should start up just fine on that system, and the snapshot (but
_not_ the releases) support the 3000 in the installation kernel.

No X server yet, but the clients and libraries work just fine.

   --Ross Harvey