Subject: Please help with Dec Multia
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@agames.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/02/1998 12:40:14
I'm not sure if I have gotten two bad units, but I am attempting to load
NetBSD on two Dec Multia's that I just got and am having problems, any
help would be appreciated.

Both Systems:
166 Dec Alpha Dec Multia w/Floppy

1st System:
PCI Card (Dec 10/100BaseT card) w/External SCSI plugged in to a 2.1gig HD.
64m RAM.

2nd System:
350m Internal IBM SCSI hard disk, 32m RAM.

I have both systems coming up in the SRM console with no problems, and
they both see the floppy, network and SCSI HD's.

With either system if I have the NetBSD disk in the drive when it boots I
get "unexpected exception/interrupt through vector 440" but according to
the docs I'm supposed to let it boot first and then do the B DVA0.

On the Internal system when I do the B DVA0 (with a total of four disks,
1.3, 1.3.2, 1.3.2, -current) it looks at the floppy, and then gives me
the >>> again, if =CE type B DVA0 again it looks at the floppy until I turn=

it off with out doing anything.

On the External system (system 1) on each of the disks it will get to a
point and then with the floppy light on it will just sit there:

(Begin NetBSD/Alpha v1.3.2 Boot Disk)
(runes through checks which I can send if needed)
open netbsd: No such file or directory

3849336
(System appears to have with floppy light on)

(Begin NetBSD/Alpha Current)
>>>B DVA0
(boot dva0.0.0.0.1 -flags 0)
block - of dva0.0.0.0.1 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dva0.0.0.0.1
bootstrap code read in
base =3D 154000, image_start =3D 0, image_byte =3D 1e00
initilizing HWRPB at 2000
initilizing page table at 146000
initilizing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
NetBSD.Alpha Primary Boot
.
(System appears to hang with floppy light on)

Any suggestions?  Am I doing something wrong or should I ship these
systems back?

Thanks for your help!

-Sean

---
Sean J. Schluntz                           schluntz@agames.com
Sr. Office Systems Administrator                  408-434-5804
Atari Games Corporation                  http://www.agames.com