Subject: Re: Install
To: Steve Proctor <sproctor@microline.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/23/1998 11:00:54
Steve Proctor <sproctor@microline.org> writes:
> I changed it and
> checked it several times and it still boots in single user mode.  It also
> boots with the drive in ro mode so I have to do a "mount -o rw /" in order
> to write to the drive.
>
> Suggestions?

The single- vs. multi-user choice is based on a firmware environment
variable, BOOT_OSFLAGS.

For a single boot, you can boot multi-user by saying:

	boot -flags "A"

(or various similar commands; i usually use 'b -fl "A"' 8-)

If you want multi-user mode to be the default setting, you can do a

	set boot_osflags "A"

at a firmware ('>>>') prompt, which sets the default boot flags to
"A".  If you then want to boot single-user, you can then say 'b -fl
""', or other similar commands.

This gets asked often enough that it should be on the NetBSD/alpha FAQ
web page.

cgd