Subject: RE: small memory box, NFS-mounted swapfile panic
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/28/1998 20:33:58
On 28-Oct-98 Sean Doran spoke unto us all:
#  panic: pmap_physpage_alloc: no pages available after 5 tries
#  Stopped in make at      Debugger+0x4:   ret     zero,(ra)

This is UVM's way of telling you, "I'm out of memory, and out of swap, and Mach
VM would have just wedged at this point."

Adding more swap might stop the panics.. however, it will be slow as hell while
the pagedaemon starts eating cpu and the disks start running wild.  But I doubt
this is NFS swap related.. my swap is local, and my panic was the same.

I've only seen this once in 9 or so months with 48meg ram, and 150 mb of swap.
And I was doing something particularly nasty at the time. (Other than that,
I've never had a crash)

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org