Subject: Re: 1.3H kernel config?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/26/1998 22:25:57
>and you will be fine...especially for the kernel, which doesn't need
>the rest of the source tree.  If anyone is tracking NetBSD/alpha
>via periodic installation of snapshots, all they need to do is
>download source when the snapshots are posted.

But that doesn't work when the snapshot is from two months ago, and
I didn't know I was going to get an alpha two months ago :-)

Here's what I've found that I've typically needed to do (and this
is from doing NetBSD for a while, on a couple of different
architectures):

- Download the latest snapshot, which is usually (but this getting better)
  a couple of months old.
- Grab the latest sources, compile a new kernel
- Discover that ps/w/and friends don't work, so rebuild world.

Not that _mind_ doing this, but sometimes the migration path is painful,
depending on the age of the snapshot.  Yes, I know -current is generally
for people who like pain, but just creating a sys tarball for a snapshot
would help out greatly in some cases (preferrable would be more frequent
releases, but let's not go there :-) ).

--Ken