Subject: Multia (semi off-topic)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/16/1998 19:38:18
    I've been toying with the purchase of a Multia, to be completely
honest not so much because I need a computer, but because it seems to be
a decent price, and I don't currently have an Alpha..  =)  But I have
some questions I hoped somebody out here might be able to answer.

    First off, I see NetBSD supports the Multia, is it well supported?
I mean is the onboard audio, video, IDE/SCSI, serial/parallel/PS2
supported?  I take it the floppy wouldn't be supported past the SRM, or
is the floppy supported on the Alpha now?  (I've only lightly followed
NetBSD/alpha progress)

    Also, can anybody say exactly what kind of RAM it requires?  The
unit I'm looking at would have no RAM.  Does it just require 72-pin Nx36
parity SIMMs, or does it require something different?  How many SIMM
slots does it have / does it require certain chip configurations or
speeds or such?  (Biggest turn-off I guess would be if it requires some
exotic type of RAM)  I take it it's designed to take some kind of
notebook-style internal IDE drive.  Fortunately this shouldn't be a bit
problem, I work for a notebook manufacturer...  =)

    In general, how is the performance on a 166MHz Multia?  I'm not
expecting anything blazingly fast, but hopefully it doesn't slow to a
crawl when running X or such? (Assuming somewhere in the ballpark of
32-64MB RAM)  Having both a pmax and a PPro I'm pretty familiar with
both ends of the spectrum.  =)

    I'd appreciate any thoughts / suggestions.  Thank you in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry