Subject: Re: xemacs on Alpha
To: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/01/1998 12:44:16
On 01-Oct-98 nm spoke unto us all:
#  Ok, I did a make and then rm'd the borked xemacs bin that it produced
#  ...
#  then I did a make run-temacs and in a few secs a nice XEmacs window popped
#  up (reall temacs I believe)

It doesnt surprise me that temacs would work.. I'll bet you a nickle that if
you apply David's patch down there to alpha.h (the one that basicly says "dont
pursepace dump")  that things should finish building on alpha.    I would try
that patch first, before doing the rest.. then bit them in one at a time until
things work..  If you *do* get the pkg to build.. please either send-pr it, or
hand me the patches.. and I'll be sure to test and commit (and build a bin pkg)
ASAP.

I would work on this myself.. but my alpha is currently being bogged down with
massive benchmarks in preparation for my move to the latest current. (egcs!)

#  So the problem lies in the 'dumping' process?  what is the dumping process
#  anyway?

<NOCLUE>
I think it has something to do with bringing the size down of the executable..
not sure exactly what it's doing in there though..
</NOCLUE>

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org