Subject: supported modem cards?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/1998 18:21:24
Hi all,
I currently use an external modem in my AlphaStation 200, but I'd like to
be able to switch between two modems on the fly, and I can't use the first
serial port because it has to be available for serial console since my
machine came with a 32bpp video card. So, in order to access both modems
(without physically dis/reconnecting them as I have been) I need to use an
internal modem. I took a quick trip to the NetBSD site in the /isa and the
/pci pages but found that only the isa actually said that standard uart
modem cards were supported. The pci part didn't mention serial cards at
all. Are no pci modem cards supported in the MI drivers? Also, I see that
many modems are advertising that they require W95 and a P133 or higher.
That would lead me to believe that those are more likely just DSP cards
which _can_ act as modems with S/W emulation. Is this the case (as in with
Apple Mac's GeoPort Telecom Adapter or the MWave all-in-one cards)? I'd
prefer to get a PCI card, but I guess I'll look for an ISA if I need to.
Alternatively...how's the PC Card support currently? I could spend a little
extra and get a 56k PCMCIA card if that would work.

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.