Subject: Re: New DecStation 5000/200 owner needs help :)
To: Smurfie <smurfie@bluesmoke.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/15/1998 23:20:30
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:22:47 +0000  Smurfie wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just subscribed to this mailing list because i grabbed an old
> DecStation 5000/200 from school (and an old hp9000).

You should be on the port-pmax list, not the port-alpha list.  This list
is for DEC's Alpha series, not the old MIPS-based machines.  Please
remove port-alpha@netbsd.org from any replies, and subscribe to the
port-pmax list.

> After a lot of troubles to get it working (i don't have any video card
> inside, i had to find a terminal...), i noticed i could install NetBSD
> on it. Actually i'd love that because i don't have the Ultrix
> Installation tape. In fact i don't have any tape at all.
> Problem is that i'm a 100% beginner with NetBSD, i'm more into Linux
> than something else.

We won't hold that against you just yet :-)

> So i've read the *BSD FAQs, the pmax installation howto, and manymore.
>
> I've found that it would be easier for me to use a disless installation
> : i got two linux boxes here on which i can create a ftpd/nfsd server...

This is true.

> But i can't find any netBSD kernel to boot the DEC with.

It would be easiest to start with the NetBSD 1.3.2 release.  Look at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/pmax.  The 1.3.2 kernels
are in the .../NetBSD-1.3.2/pmax/binary/kernel directory - you want
either netbsd.ecoff or nfsnetbsd.ecoff if that one doesn't boot.  This
is mentioned in the INSTALL doco - look for the line starting with
"Distribution kernel images".

> Can anyone help me with that?
> BTW i saw that it depends on the dec firmware i have if i can use tftp
> or not...how can i check if i can use it?

Most machines work ok - it's just a few that cause problems.  You can
get your on firmware version from the line before the ">>" when you
machine powers-up.  It'll be something like "KN02 v5.3s".  Then check
out http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/pmax/board-list.html to see if it's on
the list.  If it isn't, can you let the port-pmax list know of your
successes or failures.

Good luck, and ask any questions on the port-pmax list if you have any.

Simon.