Subject: Minor install nits
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@homerun.unimaster.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/12/1998 11:26:02
I'm re-installing 1.3.2 for the Alpha, and have noticed the following:

1) When running the kernel from the boot floppy, the install
instructions indicate that I should be able to use the name reslution
routines after populating /etc/resolv.conf, but in my case it didn't
work.  I had to put entries into /etc/hosts so I could use nfs to do
the rest of the installation.  Does this happen to anyone else?

2) The INSTALL file I got today off gatekeeper.dec.com has the following:

    The sets and kernel are extracted with

        cd /mnt
        for file in base kern comp etc games man misc text; do
            tar xpfz /mnt/var/tmp/$file.tgz;
        done

    or (but do NOT unpack source/toolchain.tgz from / or /mnt) perhaps:

        cd /mnt
        for file in /mnt/var/tmp/[a-z]*.tgz; do
            echo $i
            tar xpfz $i
        done

Note how the second section uses 'file' in the 'for' statement yet uses
'$i' in the 'echo' and 'tar' commands, which doesn't work.

--
Dave Cherkus ------- UniMaster, Inc. ------ Contract Software Development
Specialties: UNIX Internals/Kernel TCP/IP Alpha Clusters Performance ISDN