Subject: Re: Size limitation in MFS?
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@enteract.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/08/1998 21:04:05
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Ted Spradley wrote:

> Is there a known limitation of problem with Memory file system?
>
> On an AS200-4/233 w/ 96M bytes main memory running the 0628 Snapshot, I
> have two swap partitions:  /dev/sd0b is ~ 750M bytes and /dev/sd1b is
> ~250M bytes.  Both are listed as swap in /etc/fstab.  If I "mount -t mfs
> /dev/sd1b /tmp" it's fine, but if instead I try sd0b, the bigger one, I
> get:
>
> fatal kernel trap:
>
>     trap entry = 0x2 (memory management fault)
>     a0         = 0x120176000
>     a1         = 0x1
>     a2         = 0xffffffffffffffff
>     pc         = 0x120176000
>     ra         = 0x120176000
>     curproc    = 0xfffffe0000425800
>         pid = 156, comm = mount_mfs
>
> panic: trap
> syncing disks... 7 6 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
>

> I do have "/dev/sd1b /tmp mfs rw,noauto 0 0" in /etc/fstab, but the
> 'noauto' should prevent that from interfering, shouldn't it?

It might be interesting to experiment with intermediate sizes, with
something like this: "/dev/sd0b /tmp mfs rw,-s=1000000 0 0".

> I haven't yet got a dump because /var is smaller than main memory, and
> savecore apparently doesn't follow symlinks.  Before I pursue that, I may
> as well build a kernel with debug symbols.  Can anyone give me a quick
> clue on that?  Is it as simple as "config -g" and then copy the kernel,
> "strip -d" one copy and put that in / and keep the other copy for
> debugging?

AFAIK, all you have to do is add 'makeoptions DEBUG="-g"' to your kernel
configuration file, and that will lead to two kernels: one stripped, for
the booter, and one huge one, for the debugger.