Subject: Re: I can run that OS in *one* megabyte...
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/05/1998 14:56:30
> Hmmm, seems to me that the vax had 128 or 256 byte pages, although as
> far as what netbsd does on a vax i haven't got a clue.

512 bytes, they were (er, are).  I think NetBSD does what historical
BSD does on the VAX, and cluster them so as to pretend it has larger
(1K, IIRC) pages except when it comes to actually shoving the bits into
the hardware.  (Admittedly, I haven't checked the NetBSD part of this.)

I suspect this is related to 512-byte disk sectors and 512 bytes being
the default blocksize for dd and suchlike, though the chain of
causality may go back even farther, like the PDP-11 or something
(though fuzzy memory says a PDP-11 with VM hardware has 4K pages)....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca