Subject: PCI problem with 21164PC system
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/04/1998 23:14:37
Hi!

I have a problem with my 21164PC system. It seems that the SRM (v5.1)
doesn't initiate the LT register for the pci devices. I have one NCR875
and two 21140's. The latency timers were set to 0, and this means that
incredibly large dma transfers takes place on the pci bus causing several
ugly things in the system.

Now, I get much better system performance if I set all my LT's to for
example 32, but I'm not sure where this should be "fixed up".

I am using a current snapshot from april, and I am unable to make a
newer current that works. The ncr dies with timeouts just after /etc/rc is
started. The ncr driver has not changed between the working and
non-working kernel. Any ideas?

/Andreas