Subject: Re: Two unrelated problems on my AlphaStation 200
To: Michael G. Schabert <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/04/1998 10:25:50
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:26:08 -0500
 "Michael G. Schabert" <> wrote:

 > While I agree that 16 MB isn't enough to run an active un*x on, it should
 > be able to at least boot, and the requirements aren't very much beyond
 > that. On port-mac68k, I've seen people with 8 MB systems boot fine
 > (although that's a 32-bit system). On my AlphaStation, I just quit all of
 > my memory-hogging applications and Top reports active memory usage at under
 > 6 MB:

An Alpha is not a Macintosh.  The Alpha PROM actually consumes a fair
chunk of memory, and there's not a lot you can do about that.  Also, Alpha
executables are larger, and pointers and longs take twice as much space.
This adds up.

Jason R. Thorpe
Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942