Subject: Re: Serial port console
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/1998 11:21:43
I don't have this beast, but I run all my alphas on serial lines.

I expect there are few things you may need to do, based on a variety
of unclear experiences that I've had-

1) select the 'correct' console in /etc/ttys- the console pseudo-device
doesn't seem to always do what I expect.

2) parity=none seems to be important.

Can you get to single user (e.g., w/o boot flags set to 'a') and
do things work well there? Other than this, it may be the h/w on
this particular beast.

-matt