Subject: Serial port console
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/1998 13:12:42
I have a AlphaStation 200 running the 0628 snapshot.  It has no video
card, no keyboard, no mouse.  I use a null modem cable from one of the
built-in serial ports to the seyon terminal emulator running on another
machine for a console.  This works fine for talking to the SRM and for
booting, but I can't seem to get logged in thru the serial port.  It puts
up a login prompt, I type a name (e.g., root) and hit <Enter>, it prompts
"Password:" and I type the password, but it usually doesn't echo the
CR-LF.  Nothing happens for a time, then "Login timed out after 300
seconds".

Should I expect this to work?

Ted Spradley <A HREF="mailto:tsprad@metronet.com">tsprad@metronet.com </A>
 +1-972-484-5356