Subject: Re: shared object problem
To: None <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/25/1998 20:43:59
...From: Arne Henrik Juul <arnej@stud.math.ntnu.no>

 :::
> is this option expected to be necessary?  I guess it's all right since
> there are few programs wanting to actually link shared modules against
> the main program's symbols (I can't think of anyone besides perl).  I
> can certainly live with it for now.

It's a feature, actually. For 99.9% of all binaries, you know at link time
what needs to be resolved at run-time.

For the unusual case of a program intending to make run-time decisions
on dynamic loads of modules the linker has never seen before, then,
and only then, you want to export all the possibly-useful symbols.

I wonder if (under ELF) you can strip the start-up executable?

			The FAQ gets an ELF Section
			       `man ld' update

I've added an ELF section and made a general cleanup to the NetBSD/alpha FAQ.
You can get to this off the main NetBSD/alpha page. If you haven't seen the
new alpha page, you need to go there anyway.

I've also updated ld.1 so that `man ld' is more useful on the alpha.

A preliminary version of the FAQ edits is available now on www.netbsd.org,
but if you want to read the latest version in the next few hours you can
get it from:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/misc/faq.html

The new ld.1 will be in tomorrow's sup, if you want it now go to:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/misc/ld.1

Either let sup get it or put it in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/ld/ld.1 yourself,
then make && make install in that directory.

	--Ross