Subject: Re: Broken gcc on alpha causing a few problems.
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/25/1998 12:53:08
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:

: 1) Ignore it, wait until the compiler is fixed, and let the old 1.3.2 users
: live with it.

This would be better, but:

: 2) Change all the pkgs that tickle the bug to compile without optimization.

: 3) Place a sepcific hack in the makefile to work around alpha <1.4 versions.
: (I'm assuming here we fix the bug by 1.4)

I've, unfortunately, actually done this for the Pine pkg for arm32's.  I
don't like changing optimization options because of broken toolchain, but I
also considered the widespread use of Pine and weighed the difference.

: 4) Find the files that tickle the bug and hack the makefiles so only those
: files get compiled w/o optimization.

This would be good as a complement to #3, but could also be quite painful to
implement.