Subject: Re: An attempt at using pkgsrc/which work & which don't (stock)
To: None <joe@mediaone.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/15/1998 16:14:23
On 15-Jul-98 Joseph Sarkes spoke unto us all:
#  Tim Rightnour writes:
# >
#  I can perhaps pursue simpler activities like this, what are the typical
#  headers
#  that are needed that don't follow the normal scheme such that it would work
#  out
#  of the box?  Once i have some start in this, I should be able to figure from

One of the simplest things you can do, without knowing whats going on with the
64 bitisms, is to bring the right headers into scope.  Ross posted someting on
this awhile ago I think, but just in case:

if you see it say something like pointer form integer without a cast (or
different size or whatever).  Alot of times thats due to someone doing:
(*char)malloc(x).  malloc() has no prototype (because there is no header for it
in scope) and defaults to an int.  When you bring the malloc header in, it's no
longer an int, its (*void) like it should be.  I don't believe this is a real
bug, but it may cause problems somewhere, and causes gcc to whine noisily about
it.  I've found most of the problems involve malloc, memcpy and similar
functions, which usually involve unistd.h.  You will often find a bug with
this, because the author did something like:
extern *int malloc();
to prototype the malloc, and now you will get a real error with the other
prototype visible to gcc.. this needs to be ifdeffed out.
When you find one like this, just man the function and get the header out.
Most pkgs have central .h files you can fix, and it magicly fixes the whole
thing.

Another common one is nasty use of va lists.. that one usually causes an error
though.  That one is a bit nastier, and involves either wrapper functions, or
using va_start and va_end and sending a fake ap structure.

#  and I had to manually install the stuff that was blocking builds to continue
#  afterwards.
#  These were basic common progs, so perhaps a list of common needed pkgs for
#  building
#  the remainder would be useful. I am talking about perl, python, gtexinfo,
#  gmake, and
#  perhaps a few others. If this info is available already, I missed it.

I'm not sure why you had problems here.  I did a build the other week (make
from bottom level and go on vacation) and it went pretty well.  I'm not having
dependency problems.  What version netbsd are you running, and which toolchain?

I'm running 6/10/98 and it is remarkably stable..  I have had no crashes at all
with it, and I've been pounding this poor little multia hard.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html