Subject: Re: Unable to boot -current
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/14/1998 13:46:01
> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> On Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:39:06 -0700
>  "William J. Coldwell" <billc@warped.com> wrote:
>
>  > I exhibit this behavior on a Multia with -current.  It looks like
>  > we can track it down to something done right around the snapshot
>  > build.  It acts like the booter is jumping to a wrong address and
>  > just resets the machine.. over and over again :)
>
> I suspect this is related to the IDE hack Ross made for the axppci33
> systype.

You might suspect this--I did, too--but you would be wrong. Some Other Dude
Did It; this is apparently known in legal circles as "the SODDI defense".  :-)

Anyway, I fixed this on Monday, so a working -current has been available
via sup since about 5AM PDT Tuesday. The bug would have affected any alpha
with a PCI frame buffer console.

Ross