Subject: Re: An attempt at using pkgsrc/which work & which don't (stock)
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js.ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/14/1998 08:03:40
Michael G. Schabert writes:

> OK, to start with, I only had a couple hundred Megs free on my system, so I
> decided to do each main category separately, so that I could keep tabs on
> disk space with df after each run. I went to each category & ran make &&

I have also been playing about with this, and found that there are a couple
packages that are needed by many others, and should be installed prior to
attempting to make things. Like you, i fould that gmake was needed, as was
gtexinfo, perl5, tcl8.0, and some others that i don't remember right now.
The dependencies did not work on many packages to install the missing
piece prior to blowing up, and I had to install the missing pieces and try
again. I don't have the drive booted right now with my installed packages, but
next time i do, i will get the pkg_info list to see what sequence i was using
to get things working, as i think i missed a couple pkgs that are needed to
be built up front.

One question i have is whether the integer cast warnings on the alpha will
result in bad executeables. I do know that the cpu% in top does not work correctly
in the alpha, but haven't had a chance to figure out why. ssh actually won't
build correctly due to an internal compiler error during the build, which you
can get around with manually building the offending .c file with the -O removed
from the cc command generated by make. This occurs with another at least one other
pkg also, which i don't remember at this time.

Once i have an operating -current kernel (multia death in boot right now) I will
start over and capture the results on the package builds and make it available
to whoever needs it, and try fixing a couple pieces myself. However, I too am not
a professional programmer, and don't want to get TOO deep into the arcana.

I'll have more useful info when I restart the builds.

--
Joseph Sarkes                   mailto:joe@mediaone.net
P.O. Box 482