Subject: Shared Memory PProblem?
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/02/1998 14:38:24
Hi,

I finally had the resources again to upgrade my UDB from NetBSD-1.3-Beta
to NetBSD-current, and was very pleased when everything build, installed
and ran very smooth. Performance seems to be better to. Really Nice Work!
I also managed to compile and install quite some packages from the pkgsrc
without to many changes and problems. Also, quite nice. Thanks everybody.

Now, I've seen some minor (to me taht is) problems too, that I thought might
be good to report. For one thing: audio doesn't work (wss driver). I have
never seen it work on my alpha sofar, but I thought somebody mentioned
some time ago here that it was fixed and supposed to work. Changing settings
with audioctl and mixerctl works fine, but reading and writing to /dev/audio
just hangs without moving any data in or out.

Second thing: I compiled Gimp from the pkgsrc, and basically it compiled
out of the box (nice suprise). However, it runs only with the options
--no-shm and --no-xshm. Without --no-shm gimp runs fine, except for the
thing that it dumps core on exit. Even more, every gimp-plugin seems to
produce a core dump when it exits, after doing its job the way it should (gimp
just continues happily after that though). (I start gimp remotely on the alpha,
it has no X-display of its own.)

Third: rpc.bootparamd still doesn't work. I think it has been broken for a
long time in NetBSD. However, I got a fixed version from somebody quite some
time ago. I lost the source to that, but still have a wroking binary. So,
it's not urgent for me. But as the fix seems to be known, I expected it to be
fixed by now in the source tree. Hmmm, maybe I'm the only one using
rpc.bootparamd ;-}...

BTW: I installed the latest snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org including toolchain
and (older) X-snapshot, got the current (last week) source tarballs and
`make build'. I didn't get and recompile the toolchain sources. Just in case
if that's relevant to the above...

For the rest: You cannot imagine how happy I am with the quality of this
NetBSD-alpha install :-). Serious!

Feico.