Subject: UW SCSI controllers that are SRM compatible
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <nick.maniscalco@alfalaval.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/01/1998 15:53:18
     I appoligize in advance if this is obvious or has recently been=20
     discussed=2E
    =20
     I have an axppci33 and I have been using the onboard ncr53c810 for=20
     quite a while but I now have a wide disk and the 810 is only fast=20
     narrow :(
    =20
     I have quite a few adaptec controller (2940 and 3940's u and uw's) but=
=20
     it seems that SRM (and DEC Unix) do not support these adaptec=20
     controllers (too bad because I have more than one sitting idle :(
    =20
     Anyway, I am looking for an inexpensive pci controller that supports=20
     ultra wide devices and is supported by the axppci33's SRM (so you can=20
     boot directly from srm without having to boot the kernel off of a=20
     floppy etc)
    =20
     I would also like this controller to be compatible with DEC Unix is=20
     possible=2E
    =20
     It looks like my options would be something in the range of a 53c875?=20=
=20
     this is a uw controller and is supported by dec unix, netbsd and srm I=
=20
     believe=2E
    =20
     I have been having trouble finding a controler to fit my needs=2E  If=20
     anyone knows of any such controlers and vendors I would appreciate=20
     hearing about them=2E
    =20
     The new hard disk that is causing these problems for me is a full=20
     height 5=2E25" 9 gig 5400 rpm fast wide disk=2E  I have thought about=20=
just=20
     buying a cable adapter so that I can use this wide (68 pin) disk on a=20
     narrow (50 pin) chain=2E  This would solve the problem but would I be=20
     sacrificing much performance?
    =20
     Does wide vs=2E narrow make much of a difference if the disk is only=20
     fast (not ultra) and the bus is pretty traffic free?
    =20
     Thanks
     Nick