Subject: speaking of 64-bit & packages...
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/22/1998 18:27:55
Hi all,
In SPAMming my hard drive with any packages that looked interesting...I've
noticed that there's a whole lot that do the "cast to pointer from
integer-", and "cast from integer to pointer of different size", which you
obviously know about. Most still compile, they just spam my console with
the warnings. There are some, though, that either don't compile, or don't
work when they compile. For example, Top gives me:

prez# top
top: sysctl vm.uvmexp failed: Operation not supported

Now, Im running the ipnatfix kernel, which according to the readme was
compiled withOUT the uvm, so is that why Top failed? Will that be all
better once I upgrade to the next snapshot?

As an example of one which wouldn't compile, here's where suck left me (on
the make install part)

------
strip suck rpost testhost lmove
strip: suck: section `.note': error in private data: Memory exhausted
strip: rpost: section `.note': error in private data: Memory exhausted
strip: testhost: section `.note': error in private data: Memory exhausted
strip: lmove: section `.note': error in private data: Memory exhausted
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 suck /usr/pkg/bin/suck
strip: /usr/pkg/bin/suck: section `.note': error in private data: Memory
exhaust
ed
install: stripping /usr/pkg/bin/suck: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
(the err.1 & stop repeated 3x & then it stopped)
------

I tried unlimit-ing, so my limits were:
prez# limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        1048576 kbytes
stacksize       32768 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       67264 kbytes
memorylocked    67264 kbytes
maxproc         532
openfiles       1772

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't really touched source code
since admining a MUD a few years back. Perhaps its time to return to the
gaming community to "get back in shape" ;-).

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.