Subject: Re: Multia repair
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/09/1998 01:29:52
Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Curt Sampson wrote...
> > On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any idea whether the cpu is cooled well enough without airflow
> > > from the power supply (removed from the case with only the power supply leads
> > > connected) as when i did this before, the cpu heatsink got very hot.
> >
> > I'd think it would be ok if you don't run it for too long. I've
> > found the CPU heatsink always to get very hot; even with a 3" fan
> > blowing directly through it on my AXPpci33s, it's too hot to touch
> > for more than a second or two with bare skin.
>
> Hmm. I've seen Alpha systems behave *very* weird when the CPU overheats.
>
> What I did to my NoName: unscrew the heatsink, drill a couple of holes,
> find some long screws and a small fan (like found in older Apple Macs)
> and put this on the CPU. It now only gets lukewarm to the touch.

The fins on the heat sink are also stiff enough so you can mount a fan onto the heat
sink (blowing onto the top of the Alpha chip) without removing/drilling the heat sink.
Find a fan with mounting holes at the right spacing (I used a pentium cpu fan) and
you're all set. I just had to look around at a few pc clone shops, and I found one that
works.....

Stan